Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Cle Elum 50K

Tough race.

I started out this race with a good pace and strong determination to Not take it easy as like I did in my last race. After 3 weeks of taking it easy, my longest run being 10 miles, it left good to be out shaking off the cobwebs.
Well that didn't last.
About a 1/2 mile before the first water stop my hip went from a mild pain that's not even worth a second thought to an all out "oh my god my hip is broken". Ok maybe not that bad. It mostly hurt going up hill and there was 12 more miles of uphill until the top. So for the next 5 or 6 miles I shuffled along trying to run more with my calves and hamstrings. But the walking was getting more painful instead of less. I figured I was going to DNF for sure. After trying different styles of moving forward I found that I could jog up the hills and it would be a little less painful than walking them. I guess I walked too much at CCC.
I finally get to the first AS at 12.5 miles in 2:40, 10 minutes ahead of last year. And I rationalized that I could continue at a slow pace, if I had to, and still beat the cut-offs.
I kept moving forward trying not walk because it increased the pain level by a factor of 2. I got to the top, mile 17.5, windy pass it was windy, in 3:45. Now I could try to make up some time, or so I thought. Not being able to take really long strides on the downhill slowed me down. My calves were cramping from their new workload. I did however realize that I could finish without doing more damage to my hip. I even passed a few people. After making a big splash for the camera, smile , I pulled into AS 2, mile 22.5 in 4:52, 13 minutes ahead of last year, just before the winner crossed the finish line. I quickly changed my shirt fueled up and headed out. Thanks Don for keeping me moving. The next 5 miles of single track was all new to me. Last year we were diverted around this section because of clear-cutting. I believe this added some time, maybe 5 or 10 minutes, to the coarse but I really have no idea how much. I ran the last section hard, running all but 2 or 3 of the steepest hills. I finished in 6:55, 15 minute faster than last year.
After the race I did my mandatory sit in the ice cold stream, ahhhh. That felt good on the hip. I had some great food and won a wool Montrail hat (just what I needed).

The hip is feeling better after not running for 2 day but the hamstrings and calves are still sore from the extra work they did. I’m going to try and take it easy again this week by doing short runs and getting on the bike. Hopefully I can fix this problem before Baker Lake in 3 weeks. See you there!


robtherunner said...

That's quite a profile. I wish I could've made it to the race, but I had to stay home with the kids. I am not sure when the next ultra will be for me. Maybe Tanks Alot or Autumn Leaves.

I hope that hip doesn't give you anymore trouble.

GotLegs! said...

Arthur, glad your taking it easy. It was fun out there ... I really enjoyed the course. I loved the climbs ... nothing like CCC ... but it was refreshing to get some downhill running in. Everyone made the cutoffs too. I was surprised because of last years 10:30 and 11:00 hour times. I guess the new cutoffs made some start early ... so that worked.

Looking forward to Baker Lake. You get to drive this time.

Van and I were supposed to do a 12 summits on Saturday but I think she wants to do a flat 21 miler instead with the Lake Wilderness group to get home earlier.

Rob, not sure if you know but Tanks Alot is Nov 11th. That allows for both AL and Tanks ... if one was inclined ;-)