Monday, January 21, 2008

Mega Fat Ass Figure 8

I finished 7th out of about 130 runners that started, 100 made it to 17 miles, 25 made it to 25 miles, and only 15 of us made the whole 35 miles. WOW!

Due to too much snow, the Capitol Peak Mega Fat Ass course was changed to a double lollipop (or figure 8) course done twice. This meant less climbing and less snow and a lot more mud. It could have been a much easier and faster course but because of the condition of the trail it wasn't and there were many more people than normal that stopped at the half-way mark and the times would be slow or at least mine was. It's a lot of work to either skip, hop and jump over the worst parts, or just plow straight through. I heard a lot of runners complaining of hip pains, I guess from all the lateral motion.

The first loop was completely runnable. Weather you did or should was a different story. On the Suunto I recorded about 700 feet of gain which is less than a loop around Lake Youngs. I ran all of the first loop in just under 1:20 and kept going through the A/S onto the second loop. I knew that was way too fast but this was just a fun run and I was having fun. Plus I knew the course would be flat and I expected it to be easier than it was.

Not long into the second loop Shawn caught up to me. We ran within shouting distance of each other for the rest of the day. She was supposed to be running with Tc but she said he ran ahead, and I said "well he didn't pass me". I guess she passed him when he was in the bushes. Somewhere before we hit snow Glenn Rogers caught us, I think we had slowed a bit. This kept us entertained with Adventure Racing stories and sucked us into his 17 mile pace. OK I was in front so I can't blame anyone else. When we turned off onto the detour Glenn said "It's all downhill from here". It didn't matter if that was true or not, I put on my coasting legs and notched up the pace a little. We passed about 4 runners from there to the finish. A couple of them stayed with us and/or we were caught by a couple, because by the time we hit the dreaded clay trench the train of runners was 5 or so long (I didn't look back) and steaming full speed down the trail. Shawn was the caboose, I'm sure she was laughing at the ridiculous pace we were running, knowing we were only halfway done. But, I kept picking up the pace in short bursts and they would slowly reel me in. I guess I was a good motivator for them to finish strong. We hit the A/S at about 3:04, way too fast for this course in this mud. The rest of the train thanked me for bringing them in strong. I couldn't talk any of them into continuing on for another loop.

As I'm dumping my pack, Van comes in and out of the A/S in under 7 seconds, and that would be the last that I saw of her until the finish. After 5 minutes, I finally get my gear transferred around and Shawn and I head out for our second time around the first loop. It was a bit muddier and much slower going than the first time around. It took an extra 21 minutes to complete the 8 miles.
Another 5 minute pit stop at the A/S where we got to here about all the people who decided to stop at 17 miles. Maybe they were the smart ones?

The second time time around the second loop gave me 3 new joys. I nearly ran out of drink and had to shout out to Shawn so she would stop and lend me a few ounces to get me to the S&R water stop. I bonked a little right around the same time, probably because I was conserving my drink and not getting the calories I needed. The last thing was a real awesome crash in the dreaded V-notched red clay section only a few miles from the finish. My right foot landed a couple inches too far right and I was down in a flash. All the force was concentrated on the outside of my leg just under the hip. The leg is a pretty color today. It's a good thing I have a beefy IT band there to pad my Femur. After that I just wanted to get to the finish, quickly. Shawn let me lead (probably so she could keep an eye on me) and we blazed the last 2 miles to the finish. That loop was 22 minutes slower than the first time around.

Suunto Says
Distance: 35.3
Elevation Gain: 4888 ft.
Elevation Loss: 4701 ft.
Time: 7:02


robtherunner said...

I'm glad I decided to stop following you after we started on the downhill of the first loop. I knew it was way too fast for me. We stayed ahead of Shawn and Van until about the last mile or two on loop 1, but I figured I would be way behind everyone from there on out. I am interested to see the results as well. I don't think there were that many who did the entire 35 miles.

Backofpack said...

Yes, your lips were really blue.

I'm interested to hear how you like the Suunto. Eric thought he might like one because it will hold a battery charge longer. The reviews I read weren't that great though. Let us know how you like it.

You and Shawn were great - though niether of you looked too happy when you finished. And how come you didn't mention the spectacular dipping in the creek? That just confirmed your tough-King-of-the-hill ultra runner status!

Steve said...

I was surprised we ran all of the first 8 mile loop including the hills and mud. Shawn and you had a good run on a cold and muddy day. The three hombres are improving but you two are keeping a good margin ahead. Don't let your guard down Sundance (yeah I guess that means Shawn is Butch, hehe), the posse is following.

Backofpack said...

He wanted the X9i. He likes expensive toys!

Joe said...

It was nice seeing you out there today. I finished about 15 minutes behind you. That second 17 was a difficult decision for a few moments. How did you come up with less elevation loss then gain? I think it should have been the same???

Joe said...

It was nice seeing you out there today. I finished about 15 minutes behind you. That second 17 was a difficult decision for a few moments. How did you come up with less elevation loss then gain? I think it should have been the same???

King Arthur said...

The T6 uses barometric pressure to measure elevation. The elevation is always off on long runs by a little because of air pressure and temperature changes throughout the day. Over 7 hours I think 180 feet is a reasonable margin of error.

olga said...

Who cares about the smart ones, do your own crazy thing and be happy! I miss doing so many races, but can't bring myself to slog like a turtle there in front of so many people:)

shawn said...

Way to race "loop" 2 and have plenty left to run the last half at a decent pace. Yes I was actually laughing at the ridiculous pace which is when I just decided to take it down a notch and fell behind.

I "let" you lead because all my attempts to get ahead failed...first the water, then you fall...Geez I'm a sucker.

adam said...

Way to use that soft tissue to pad your fragile bones! Sounds like alot of fun Arthur; great report, as usual.

Journey to a Centum said...

At least the "Trench of Doom" was shorter this year. Hope your "mud rash" is healing up. I've still got a bunch of cuts on the back of my calves from it.

See you this weekend.