Saturday, November 08, 2008

Ron Herzog 50k

4:25, 1st master, 3rd overall.
~3000 feet elevation gain and loss, official distance according to the RD was 32.2 miles.

I was pleasantly surprised with my conditioning today. After 2 months of virtually no hill workouts I really expected to die after a few miles of blazing up the side of the mountain. I didn't and actually ended up getting a 20 minute 50k PR.

I also had an unexpected experiment during the race. Somehow I forgot my heed, so for the first time ever, I didn't drink at least half of my calories. I did have some nuun with me because I planned on doing 1 bottle of nuun and 1 bottle of heed. The nuun worked good and possiblely put off the "I've run way too fast" cramps in my calf's for an extra 5 miles. I also had zero nausea which I get sometimes after pushing it to the limit for a long time. I'll have to try this experiment again.

And as a bonus the 2nd place master was a Montrail runner that I've never beat before.

7 comments:

Michael said...

Nice Arthur. How are the ribs?

King Arthur said...

I don't think there'll be any improvement for a couple more weeks. I can't really swing my arms very much when I run. That slows me down on the up's and down's. A good thing though is after about an hour, other things start to hurt so the rib pain fades a lot!

Journey to a Centum said...

NICE! Good work on sore ribs!

Congratulations.

Backofpack said...

Great job Arthur! You had a huge, strong conditioning base before the injury, I'm glad to hear it held up and served you well.

Unknown said...

Well done, Arthur! Glad to hear you don't seem to be bothered by the ribs too much.

wild_bear_1 said...

Nice Job Arthur!

Jon said...

Hey, did you drink any of Tim Stroh's hot spice booze...er, wine? I took a half-gallon of it home when we closed shop.