Monday, January 12, 2009

Bridle Trials

UPDATE: I just got passed by 3 people! The volunteers at the finish told me I finished 6th and possibly the first master but the results were just posted. Turns out I finished 9th, and the 2nd old guy. I don't know the guy who beat me (Robert Fortner) but I Googled him and he finished the Seattle marathon in 2:55 so I can't feel too bad about that. The Finish rate this year was 65%.


It was just another cold wet muddy night in Kirkland.


I ran a 4:42.

My loops were; 41, 43, ~47, ~48, 53, 50.


This was the first time I've been able to keep all of my loop under an hour. Last year loops 4 & 5 were 1:03 and 1:05. I don't run very efficiently at night so the 3:00 pm start makes this a great race for me to try to improve on that.


My goal this year was to finish in under 5 hours. I had no major issues and never really felt like I was pushing the pace. The first two laps were just crazy. It was so crowded I really had to hold back and then go all out to get around the long trains of runners doing one or two laps. Laps three and four I ran off and on with a young guy named Andrew doing his first 50k. He seemed like he was doing great but then he fell way back and I never saw him again. The last two laps I was totally by myself except when I'd pass somebody.


I felt really good after I finished.


I wore my Cascadia 4's and they did great. I felt comfortable and confident running through the mud. This was my 3rd long run in them (3:29, 4:40, 4:42) and I'm liking them a lot more than last years model. I only wish they were a lot lighter.


I drank 3/4 of a bottle on the first loop and 1/2 bottle on all the rest. I used a 50/50 mixture of Nuun and Heed. I had 1 gel loop.


Here's a picture that Jenn took at the end of my second loop. She did one loop and then waited around for me to finish my second before going to pick up the kids.

4 comments:

Journey to a Centum said...

Arthur you should have taken more time to enjoy the mud like me. You're always in such a hurry!

Great run, congratulations on what I think was a sixth place finish. Glen T. said it was probably going to take a while to sort out the results as they need to match names with numbers for over 500 runners.

Next week should be fun. I don't doubt that John will come up with a good route despite the storm damage.

Nic said...

Nice work out there Arthur, that time is outstanding. See you next weekend at Cap Peaks.

Steve S said...

Well done. I figured you would lap us sometime, I just wasn't expecting you mid-way through our forth loop. Dark is more work, rainy and muddy is even harder, but the combination has to be experienced to truely appreciate it.

Nic said...

...that's crazy about the finish rate huh? I was really surprised by that...